We’re planning out the activities for October and would like to hold a second contest at the end of the month (in addition to our traditional 10-Day Algorithm Challenge). We’re not really sure what to do so we are asking for your help. Here are some suggestions we came up with:
- A shorter duration algorithm contest – aka Mini Challenge
- An ACM-ICPC style competition – This includes choosing a team (up to 3 people), penalties for wrong answers, etc…
- A game development competition – aka Gamer’s Challenge (maybe using JS only?)
- A badge development competition – we will publicize our API, you can create badges to show your own rank/problems you’ve solved, ranking in previous competitions, etc… This will include HTML/CSS/JS. Judging is subjective and less heavy on actual development.
- A debugging competition – We give you a few problems with buggy solutions, the first person to correct them all so that they output the correct result (with the fewest amount of changes from the original code?) wins.
We’ve discussed some other ideas including a contest for shortest lines of code, though this promotes bad programming styles (hard to read/understand). We’d like to do something that encourages quality software development.
Any of the ideas above appeal to you? Any new ideas we haven’t thought of? Let us know (and have a nice weekend)…