A whole year has gone by since the launch of CodeChef. Initially envisioned as a platform for online competition, where fellow coders from India and around the world would come and test their skills against each other, CodeChef has now become so much more.
With over sixty active CodeChef Campus Chapters in the country, two exciting meetups under its belt, a multi city geek symposium in its first year of existence, an excellent practice problem section, and an active wiki, blog and forums, CodeChef has accomplished a lot in its first year.
Let’s take a look at some interesting facts, figures and milestones that make CodeChef what it is:
- CodeChef has a user base of over 30,000 people globally.
- Our website receives over to 50,000 visits every month.
- Participants are students from 2000 different institutes, IITs, IIITs, BITS, NITs, DCE/DTU, JNTU and professionals from over 1000 different organizations such as TCS, IBM, Oracle, Google, Adobe, L&T Infotech, Thoughtworks.
- Prizes worth up to Rs.1,50,000 are given out to Indian and global winners every month.
- Over Rs.18 lakhs in prize money has been given out by since the first CodeChef Challenge in March 2009.
- CodeChef has established campus chapters in over 50 prominent colleges in the country including the likes of IIT-K, BITS Pilani, BIT Mesra, DA-IICT etc.
- The first Meetup was conducted in Mumbai on 18th July 2009. CodeChef’s second Meetup took place at Delhi College of Engineering/Delhi Technological University on 31st October 2009.
- The CodeChef Techtalks, an event that featured international speakers; in Mumbai, Hyderabad and Bangalore took place on the 10th, 11th and 12th of September 2009.
- CodeChef’s Programmer of the Month puts the spotlight on some extremely talented programmers. They have ranged from 17 yrs old Keshav Dhandhania to 33 yrs old Josh Metzler.
- The CodeChef newsletter goes out to 12000 readers every month.
- CodeChef held the Campus SnackDown in January 2010. 639 teams participated and the top 7 teams were flown down to Mumbai for an In-person round.
- CodeChef has over 2150 fans on the FaceBook Fanpage and over 1286 followers on Twitter.
- Hundreds and hundreds of photos make up the CodeChef Flicker stream.
- Through Vimeo, CodeChef has uploaded a bunch of videos to its blogs and even a video tutorial to its wiki!
Come back in a few days to see our exciting addition to this blog. 🙂
Also, make sure you keep a watch out for our Anniversary Facebook Contest and our Programmer of the Year!