“There’s an easy way of doing that.” This magical sentence can make anyone happy, irrespective of what they are doing at the time it is said. Let’s take you back to the days when finding a problem that required the knowledge of DP, used to require a special skill set. Steps needed were:
- You needed to go to http://discuss.codechef.com.
- Search for DP or Dynamic Programming in the search box.
- Select the tags radio button and press enter.
- Out of the results that you get, search for Editorials – (problem code) entires.
- Open the editorials and click on the link to the problem in the practice section
It was possible and it was tiresome. Those days are over now. Allow, us to present to you our new “Problem Tags” feature. With this feature you will be able to:
- Search all the problems under a specific tag, e.g. adhoc, easy, dp etc
- Search all the problems by a specific author, e.g. ACRush, anton_lunyov etc
- Search problem of a particular contest, difficulty level, and category, e.g. SEPT13, AUG13, easy, hard, etc
You will also be able to sort the search results on:
- Submissions made on the problems
- Accuracy of the submissions made on the problem
Furthermore, on the problem tags page you will be able to filter the results on:
- Authors – Problems by all the authors that have contributed to CodeChef till now
- Problem tags – All the tags associated with the problems submitted on CodeChef
Now, isn’t that cool? We think it is. But, there are certain things you need to know before you start using this feature.
- The tags displayed here are the ones that are given in the editorials of the problem on discuss.codechef.com.
- The feature will only display results for the tags associated with any problem. If you can not find a problem, there might be a chance that the tag you are searching for is not associated with the problem. In that case, if you think that the tag you are searching is the best suited for the problem you can go and add that tag to the editorial of the problem. Or can let us know about the same. We will look to it that only the best tags are listed for the problems.
- Now, it should be known that discuss.codechef.com does not have editorials for all the problems that have ever been a part of CodeChef. Thus, some of the problems will not be searchable. It’s sad. Isn’t it? But, you can help us with it. All, you need to do is go and write the editorial for that problem and give it the relevant tags. If you think you have what it takes to write great editorials, feel free to write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will put up your editorial. That’s all, a little help from you can make a big difference to the entire programming community.
We know, at some point you all have faced trouble reaching to a problem of your choice at one go. But not anymore. Now, go and search for your favourite problems in an easy and seamless manner. If you think, there is something missing from the feature, or something that can make it even more awesome, do write to us at email@example.com.
So, next time you find yourself wondering about a problem on CodeChef, remember, “There’s a “tag” for that?”
Till next time, adios everybody.
See you at the contests.