Ever procrastinated typing in code just because you do not have a compiler? Or, faced with the fear of installing a compiler on your system and do not know which one to do? Or been in a situation when your solution runs fine on your computer but the online judge gives you a compiler error? Or has your account been blocked and ratings deducted just because you have used some other online compiler and left your code open for everyone else without having any intention to do so?
If you answer ‘yes’ to any of the above, you will love this New Year’s gift from the Chef’s kitchen. So here we are, with our latest website addition “CodeChef ‘s CODE, COMPILE & RUN”. This is something that you badly wanted. And kept asking from us. The one who helped us in building this is none other than a long time CodeChef fan, Shivam Khandelwal, who gave you the awesome okrdx and one of our chef Abhijeet Pandey. For those who do not know, we made Shivam intern with us during his winter vacations to build this much needed feature, after he had hacked the CodeChef database and woke us up one fine morning with our admin credentials in an email! More on that offline, as we do not want to tell the world about it! Shivam will be helping us build some other cool features as well 🙂
The way you may use it is:
- You need to be logged in to CodeChef to use it.
- Select a language of your choice from the drop down.
- Select your favourite Editor’s (default, vim, emacs) key bindings.
- Start writing your code in the template provided.
- Switch between the full screen mode to cut off the distraction.
- You may use the auto code completion feature or switch it off using the setting.
- Once you are done writing your code, you may download a copy.
- Click on the “Custom Input” check box to add your own input test data.
- Click on Run.
The feature is powered by the awesome ACE editor for the web. Some of the highlights that you will find using this ide are:
- Advanced code editor along with syntax highlighting. Love ‘vi’ or ‘emacs’? You will love this as well.
- Autocompletion of code (It isn’t great for the new programmers out there, so for them an option to disable it in settings menu is present.)
- Execution for all the languages available on CodeChef (50+)
- More than 30 themes to choose from.
- Drag and drop a file and start editing. And download your code back in a file once you are done.
- Feel distracted with so many things on the browser? The full screen feature for you.
- Well, last but not the least. Love keyboard shortcuts ? We have an surprise for you in settings menu… 😉
But yeah, the features do not stop there; there are many more. Stop for a while, play around and explore it.
Apart from these features, one of the most important issue that we hope this will solve is the unintended cases of plagiarism.
It has been long, that after each contest many of our users get blocked and their ratings get reduced due to the cheating cases. Most of the time, we have realised that the problem was of the code being left “Public”! So here is a big relief for all those – once you submit your code, it is destroyed as soon as you get your execution result! Yes we do not save your code anywhere. In case you want to save your code, just use the download button to have a copy in your desktop.
Isn’t it awesome? We think it is. Start using it, inform your friends about it. Show us some love as well. Whether you like it or don’t like it, do let us know. We will be happy to make it more awesome!
Over and out till next time.
Happy programming and a Happy New Year 🙂